- 4 cup golden flax seed (dry measure), soaked and sprouted over-night to two days.
- 1 TBS Himalayan pink salt or other high-quality unprocessed salt
- 4 cups of macaroon coconut (soaked for an hour in 2 cups of clean source water)
- 3 TBS raw honey or organic clover honey
- 1/2 cup sprouted pumpkin seeds, soaked overnight in Namu Shoyu, Optional
- Add pretty and tasty herbs or dried flowers if you have them! (I like Safflower petals. they keep their bright color and add a slight saffron flavor)
Sunny Coconut Crackers
- 1 cup golden flax seed (dry measure)
- 4-inch piece of dried seaweed of choice
- 1 TBS coarse ground salt or other high-quality unprocessed salt
- 4 cups large coconut flakes
- or 2 1/2 cups of macaroon coconut
- 3 TBS raw honey
- 1/2 cup sprouted pumpkin seeds (soaked overnight in Namu Shoyu)
- Fresh ground nut meg to taste
- Juice of two Valencia oranges
- Additional clean-source water (4 to 5 cups)
- Herbs and seasonings : rosemerry, safflowers, pressed garlic, chopped Katabala olives, pits removed, and red onions to taste.
Instructions: Wash, then soak flax seeds overnight. Do not rinse after soaking. You need the gelatinous goo to hold the crackers together. (For crisper crackers, soak seeds 2 nights. Then, sun sprout 15 minutes to 3 hours on the 3rd day.) Add water to the flax seeds daily to cover.
Grind coconut and seaweed in a coffee grinder or spice mill, one cup at a time. Add to the flax goo.
If needed soften honey. Stir raw honey, salt, fresh squeezed juice and nutmeg into the coconut flax mixture. (See, it’s not a “goo” any more! Now, it’s “a mixture.”)
Let stand 10 minutes or overnight. Add more clean-source water as needed.
Pour onto teflex sheets, dehydrate at 105 degrees overnight. Flip once, if needed.
Variations and additions: For fun, add a cup or two of soaked pumpkin seeds and/ or sunflower seeds to the mix. Make a batch with mint, oregano, rosemary or other winter herbs. Use orange zest or grated ginger in one tray of crackers to see what you think. Add 4 saffron threads and soaking water on special occasions. Adding a cup of nutritional yeast flakes and 1 TBs of turmeric make “cheddar” flavored crackers. Add peppery things or oniony things! Add chopped olives! Add chopped or dried fruits! Yum! Add nuts and nut oils. Have fun. Make crackers!
Adding local black walnuts and fennel